Friday, July 19, 2013

My Elisalex Dress


I Love the By Hand London girls and their wonderful patterns. I actually made this version of the Elisalex a few months ago but it has taken me till now to finally get it on the blog.
The dress has a lovely fitted bodice with a low cut back (sorry didn't get any pics of this) then a tulip skirt, perfect if like me you are on the pear side! If you think the sleeves are a bit hot for this weather don't worry the dress looks just as good with no sleeves.

The pattern suggests using a stiffer fabric like a brocade but I chose a soft crepe and think it worked really well? What do you think? 
All of the By hand London patterns are inspired by one of their favourite girls, this is how they describe Elisalex 

"Lifelong West London girl Elisalex is half Italian, an obsessive maker and proud mama to her beautiful four year old boy. She shamelessly enjoys a touch of the 50s housewife – sewing, baking and romance being just a few of her favourite things. However, don’t let that fool you, this girl left a bit of her heart in Nashville a while back and loves nothing more than dancing all night to country music or getting down to some 60s reggae. As much as she loves summer, for this pale beauty nothing beats a stormy winter evening with real wood fires and knitting at hand. A firm non believer in the concept of being overdressed, if you spot someone in a ballgown and heels workin’ it on the dancefloor of an East London dive bar – well, it’s probably our girl."

FABRIC: French crepe magenta 
PATTERN: Elisalex from By Hand London 




Here is Elisalex in her version with no sleeves.


Happy sewing xxx

PS Don't forget to check out their latest pattern the Anna dress 

9 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I love your choice of fabric..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, to be honest I was a little scared of a big puffy version as I am tall I thought it may just make me too big so I am really pleased with the way this fabric falls.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress and lovely fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Jane thanks, it was also really easy to sew as the lining is the facing so nice neat neckline with minimal fuss

      Delete
  3. Yessss! Thanks for sharing, we loved this when you came round at East London Design Show. Reminds me that I need to try an Elisalex Dress in a nice drapey fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte, how about a wax print version? ohh yes!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I have just bought a couple of metres of that fabric from you and was wondering if it would work with the Elisalex shape - having seen that it does I think I will see if I can squeeze a sleeveless version out of my yardage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, can't wait to see your version! I love this pattern it I am going to make a sleeveless version as it's sooo hot right now I can't wear this one

      Delete
  5. Beautiful dress.....did you shorten it? I am only 5, 3 and would look silly and the longer length. How did you shorten it? I'm plannin on folding it half way up the pattern,, do you think that would work?
    Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete